President Donald Trump declared a national emergency Friday (Feb 15) in relation to security on the southern border of the United States.
Lawmakers and officials in New Mexico are still gathering …
President Donald Trump declared a national emergency Friday (Feb. 15) in relation to security on the southern border of the United States.
Lawmakers and officials in New Mexico are still gathering information on exactly what that means for the state, whose officials have been outspoken against Trump’s policies.
"The emergency declaration does not in any way compel the governor to use our state's National Guard women and men in any sort of immigration enforcement, any sort of wall-building effort– nothing of the sort,” said Tripp Stelnicki, Director of Communication for Michelle Lujan Grisham.
Recently Lujan Grisham, in an open act of defiance against Trump, pulled National Guard troops from the southern border. According to Stelnicki, this recent presidential declaration will not send troops back to the border.
Others across New Mexico are speaking out in opposition to Trump’s declaration including New Mexico’s top prosecutor, Attorney General Hector Balderas.
"As Attorney General of a border state, I am appalled that the Executive Branch would manufacture an 'emergency' related to border wall funds, and I will continue to aggressively enforce and defend the rule of law, as I have previously by defending DACA recipients and combatting Trump's efforts to separate children from their families,” Balderas said in a release.
This is a developing story.
In order to read our site, please exit private/incognito mode or log in to continue.