Dotting i's and crossing t's

Making your union legal

When planning a wedding, it's important not to let things slip your mind — particularly the legal aspects of a union. Thankfully, getting a marriage license is simple in New Mexico. It's also inclusive — in December 2013 the New Mexico Supreme Court ruling made marriage equality the law of the land. When visiting the Taos County Clerk’s office, be sure that you both have photo identification with your birthdate and your Social Security cards. Both partners must be present at the office to sign the application. There is a filing fee of just $25 in cash — no checks or credit cards. Blood tests are not required in the Land of Enchantment. The marriage license book is available at the Clerk’s Office and is open to the public. Whether you are local residents or not, you must attain and file a marriage license if you are married in Taos County. New Mexico licenses are only good for in-state weddings, but the couple doesn't have to be New Mexico residents to obtain a license. Taos and New Mexico laws regarding weddings are fairly customary; couples may get married as long as they have a licensed or ordained clergy person, or a judge. No one else is recognized as a legal officiate by the state. And be sure to remember that two witnesses, other than the officiate, must sign the marriage license. After the officiant signs the license, it doesn't become official until it is filed at the county clerk's office. Don't forget to spread the good news from your engagement to the wedding. On pages ???? are announcement forms you can fill out and bring into The Taos News, 226 Albright Street, just down the road from the County Clerk's Office. And if you're celebrating an anniversary of 40 or more years, send a brief 50-word email and "now and then" photographs (if you choose to) to Editor Damon Scott at All announcements are free of charge.


Private mode detected!

In order to read our site, please exit private/incognito mode or log in to continue.